Follow Me!

Like what you read? Subscribe/Follow me to make sure that you do not miss out on any new posts :)

01 December 2014

Baby Essentials - Where Art Thou Can I Find You?

First of all, a sincere apology for missing my post  last week. Nothing like a baby's fever arising from immunization to throw me off my schedule! I wasnt too good as well given that I had a monster ulcer that made even talking painful. Despite my deliberate increase in intake of water, it remained stubborn and I only managed to recover over the weekend :(
 
Anyhow, I return with a post that should make most mummies (and daddies) interested. Where do I get my essential baby supplies (read diapers, milk powder) apart from the usual suspects the likes of NTUC, and other hypermarkets.
 
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against these hypermarkets but my wallet has. Frankly, the prices of milk powder had been shooting through the roofs. The one that my boy is now taking, according to hypermarket prices, is over $100 PER CAN! He goes through a can in 1.5 months on average, that makes it 8 cans a year which brings me to easily $900! These is JUST the milk powder ALONE! Talk about expensive!
 
Diapers is another high consumption item that had me combing the newspapers for any sales. Even then, its easily $18 per pack during sales! Why not use cloth diapers, wouldn't that be more economical? Well, I would argue that in the long run, it may not. I have tried that before, washing up to 30-40 pieces of cloth diapers A DAY! Add in the electricity and water bill by the washing machine, and the hassle of soaking the diapers (read stubborn motion residues), hanging out in the sun to dry, taking it in, folding etc etc, I seriously think it will NOT be that economical and logical after all especially since I will be spending most of my free time (if any) just folding these diapers!
 
We finally found 2 shops that sells both these items at much more palatable prices. All these were from word of mouth and I had been using them for the past year. During my gals' baby times, I used to buy in bulk from Carrefour whenever they have sales and I buy enough to get the free delivery! Am I glad to get these 2 shops now as the prices had gone up so much since my gals' baby times!
 
First will be Ang Mo Supermarket in Ang Mo Kio. The full address is Blk 407 Ang Mo Kio Ave 10. Can't find? Just ask when you get to the nearby blocks, I am sure there will easily be someone who could direct you. I buy my diapers from there. They have promos from time to time, yes, even with their already low prices. The most recent promo which I took advantage of was their Drypers promo. For sizes M, L and XL, every 2 packs costs only $28.50, while stock lasts! This works out to only $14.25 per pack as compared to some hypermarket sale price of $17.90! Yes, the difference is really seriously alarming!
 
 
 
The other shop which I frequent, for both milk powder and diapers will be Ren Tai Tang (仁泰堂)Medical Hall in Rivervale Plaza, Sengkang. Interestingly, they have an age old system that dates back to my granny's time :) I get a small cash back when I bring back empty milk cans and empty diaper packs. Though the cash back amount is small but it does make a difference especially when their retail price is also one of the lowest from what I know! So now I diligently bring back empty cans and packs whenever I buy new ones. A system that my firstborn found it amusing but even she had to admit that it is indeed economical and in her words "its such an interesting way of getting discounts! I wonder what they do with those empty cans and packs?" My guess? I think its just a clever way of making sure that the customers keep going back to them instead of giving a straight outright discount :)
 
I was told both these stores have other outlets as well but I haven't been to those, so if you are interested, do check out them out and save some $$$ too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment