Follow Me!

Like what you read? Subscribe/Follow me to make sure that you do not miss out on any new posts :)

30 September 2014

Magazines I Read

Having reading as a hobby naturally translated into being a magazine reader as well as I get older which means more available money to spend on these. In comparison, magazines are distinctly more expensive especially if they are of the monthly kind. Many are now of the digital form but old school me still prefer the rustle of physical paper!

A note of "warning" though, if you are expecting magazines like Her World, Style, then you might as well read another post. As my mom loves to comment, should ever the fashion stores in Singapore need to have my business to prevent going bust, then they might as well declare bankrupt now :P Yes, this is from my mommy dearest!
 
 
Another note, I believe in the "Replacement Theory". Apart from CNY clothes which I HAVE to get at least ONE new outfit or tremble in the fury wake of well-meaning-but-prefer-traditions relatives, my clothes are bought based on that theory. I do not get a new piece unless I need to replace an old piece which by the way, isn't discarded but used as home clothes. Now don't you agree that very seasoned tshirts are great to sleep in? They are broken in, they fit us how we like them to and in our humid weather, they are mostly quite thin in thickness due to the countless washings they have gone through!

My ex-colleagues whom I may not have met for years are amazed when they see me in the same office wear. Well, as long as the piece is clean, no holes, no glaring faded areas, no damaged zips etc, they are as good as new to me, no scratch that, they are way better than new! Cos they are all broken in and wearing them is like coming home :)

Parenting magazines? Erm, no as well. While I am definitely not an expert, I agree that each child is way different and there is no "free" size or one size fits all solutions. I also prefer to enjoy the child as himself/herself. I do not wish to compare and they are all unique in their own ways.

Moreover, I see bits and pieces of me here and there though according to hubby dearest, all the good traits are from him (HA! And it will snow in Singapore)! So, thanks but no thanks to parenting magazines especially when every 1 article is interspersed with so much advertising that I don't really know if I am reading the article or the advertisements!

What do I read then? CRAFTING MAGAZINES!

My utmost favourite? WHERE WOMAN CREATE by Stampington & Company


I started off with this magazine the very first time it came to Singapore a couple of years back. This magazines goes into the homes and studios of different artists and show us literally where creation takes place. To me, that's Heaven! I can go into their studios, without being slapped as a trespasser, I can go into nooks and corners, I can see in detail how they do it and best of all, I can re-visit them as and when I like!
 
This was the very first issue that started me off and I never look back since! I have missed some issues here and there but hope to buy them back slowly :)

Artful Blogging by Stampinton & Company
 
I chanced upon this about 2 years ago. Different bloggers are featured in each thick issue where you get a glimpse of their blogs and what they talk about. I "discovered" many very interesting blogs from here and it opens up my world where so much can be shared so generously by the simple blog.
 
 
Art Journaling by Stampinton & Company
My firstborn loves to doodle so I bought this for her to give her ideas, spark her creativity. I was never a doodle-r, in fact, I can't draw for nuts!

 I remember my still life drawing class back in secondary school. We were supposed to draw a basket of fruits on the table. My art teacher took pains to explain light, shadowing etc. Upon handling up my work, I was called back almost immediately. My art teacher was puzzled as why had I drawn many bowling balls and only one pin? Actually what I drew (or so I thought) were some oranges and apples (all round shapes) + a pear :p I think you get the idea how 'good' my drawing abilities are!

I digress.

Anyway, Art Journaling showed me how doodling can be a form of art and how feelings can be expressed through these. As my gal approaches her teenage years, I hope that art journaling can give her space and permission to express herself and not bottle it up.

So there you go, just these 3. Yes, only 3. I wish I have the time to read more but I don't. Even these are sneaked in during toilet breaks etc so do pardon me if I seem rude not to let you borrow my magazines. I don't feel right doing so when I know they are more in my bathroom than on my bookshelves!


☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀

 

FREE NORMAL LOCAL POST by Craft Explorer till 02 October 2014 for all purchase above $5.00. Read here for details of getting free post.

 

FREE NORMAL LOCAL POST by Bigmomma SG while stocks last! Read the post here on how to get your free postage!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment