Follow Me!

Like what you read? Subscribe/Follow me to make sure that you do not miss out on any new posts :)

25 September 2014

End & Start of An Era - Tuition: Group VS Home

My firstborn had all along been going to maths group tuition since 2 years ago. Despite my misgivings about sending her to tuition at such early age (yes, I am a non-believer as u can tell) I had to admit that even with my best efforts, there are some questions that simply make me tear my hair out! So, in view of keeping some resemblance of hair and retaining my sanity, we decided to send her to a very highly recommended group tuition.
 
 
Mind you, despite it being group based, the fees were not cheap. I remembered raising my eyebrows when we saw the fees but sighz, like all parents, I signed her up for it, feeling all guilty that I wasn't able to teach on my own and had to subject her to so much more extra stress :(

My firstborn, though not overjoyed, understood and consoled me even that now I could keep my hair intact :P She gamely took that up and even though it was quite the distance from our house, she saw it through, keeping a smile on and hardly giving me problems, just the occasional grumble.
 
2 years on and despite the efforts from both herself and the teachers there, her results slipped :( I chatted with the teachers several times, trying to find out what was wrong. After several sessions, we established that though she likes the company and "competition" of being in group tuition, she was severely lacking in the focus and attention span area, making it difficult for her to reap the full benefits of it.
 
Some background...my firstborn is dyslexic. She was diagnosed pretty late, only at age 5 going onto 6. I was very shocked and saddened by this, blaming myself for not noticing the signs earlier and getting help for her faster. I remembered how hard It was for her to recognize alphabets, how she will get a slap on the hand from me for being "mischievous" by writing mirror images of the alphabets.

Oh! How much I regretted all these! I knew there was such a learning disability yet it never occur to me that my own child could have it! I shielded away from calling her "special", hated the words "learning disability" and hated myself most for not noticing earlier. It was a very demoralizing and very hurtful period for me, as a parent and mostly, as a mommy :(
 
To cut a long story short, having short attention span was part of the bigger dyslexic problem. We had to find some ways to overcome this. After much discussion, we agreed on home tuition.

Yes, finance is already tight, being single income family now.
Yes, we need to literally scrimp and save to make sure there is enough to go around.
Yes, there is no guarantee that home tuition will definitely do the trick. 

I felt bad for laying this on my hubby :( but I am truly comforted by his usual gruff and short words "even if we had to double the money paid, if it helps her, we can do it." There wasn't any finger pointing, grumbles etc, just acceptance, find best possible solution and move on from there.
 
The end of the group tuition era was emotional for my firstborn. After all she had been with the class for 2 years. Friendships were forged and companionship appreciated. She prepared some gifts for them, took time for a class photo and she came home contended, knowing that she now need not waste traveling time that leaves her simply exhausted. It is times like these that I am heartfelt-Ly (yes, I know, there is no such word :P) thankful for a mature and sensible firstborn.

She doesn't make a fuss, listens and tries to understand from our point of views, accepts and move on. Oh! She does have her moments of freaking out, when she is overwhelmed with stress. She cries, hides in her blanket and refuse to face the world. Yet she had always been able to reconcile within herself, talk to me and then move on from there. My heart simply pains from all the hardships that she has had in her route in academic studies but she had shown me how much strength she has and I hope that she will grow even stronger as she blossom.
 
The start of home tuition was eventful. She was un-used to such focused attention from the tutor and her short spans of attention doesn't help too. I stayed in for the first 2 sessions, wanting to make sure she is comfortable before leaving her alone. She has now gotten (more) used to it but still wary and not entirely comfortable. Alot better but this will take time :)

A comparison between the 2 types of tuition...
 
A) Home tuition is definitely more expensive but if like us, you need to factor in travel time (loads of it) and the exhaustion then home tuition may still end up a better choice.
 
B) Attention and focus wise there is of course a huge difference. Despite her group tuition having a small class size, if your child similarly has very short attention span then group tuition may not exploit her full potential. Yet at the same time, be wary of the one-on-one pressure that comes from home tuition though group tuition has its fair share especially with competition in the class. My gal's class was fortunate that it was mostly friendly competition.

C) The friendship that comes out from group tuition can be quite strong aka being in the same boat in terms of assignments etc. Then again a good home tutor can be equally effective in terms of motivation and push factor.
 
I am actually pretty surprised that so much can be written on this topic! There are quite abit to consider especially when we try our best to take consideration of all factors including her feelings. I spoke to her before making the final decision, wanting to know her feelings if we go ahead with the change. My sensible gal said that she is definitely happy not to have to travel so far for group tuition and return home exhausted *doing a jiggle* but she wasn't sure how home tuition will be like *grimace* :) A typical reply from my little expressive young woman who still is a child at heart!
 
To lighten up this heavy post, here's some true but hilarious look at dyslexia. If my gal at the tender age of 5 could face it with a smile, then I will definitely learn from her!
 
 
 
 
 
 
☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀

FREE NORMAL LOCAL POST by Craft Explorer till 02 October 2014 for all purchase above $5.00. Read here for details of getting free post.

FREE NORMAL LOCAL POST by Bigmomma SG while stocks last! Read the post here on how to get your free postage!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment